Library Lovers Day and the gift of curiosity! Library Lovers’ Day was initially started in Australia in 2006 by the State Library of New South Wales (NSW). The day became a national holiday in 2007 when the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) joined in on the campaign to promote their passion for books. Though the aim was to raise awareness regarding the services some great libraries offer, the day soon became one that provided solace to those who were ‘dateless’ on V-Day.
It’s nearly Valentine’s Day! What about a great new gift that won’t cost you anything? In fact it is priceless? We love the idea of giving a library card / membership! It’s not only the gift of curosity but a gift that engenders the lifelong love of reading and learning, of faraway places, of great romances of dreaming and adventures.
Australia really does Library Lovers Day well! This year it has the theme “show the love” We want to share what our colleagues in Australia are doing just in case you want to “pinch” a few hints and ideas.
Remember the wonder you experienced when you first discovered something in books as a child? For me it was fairy tales and legends, maybe for you it was an idea, a place in nature, new understanding, or the pure joy of becoming lost in a new imaginary book or game for hours.
“It’s a day to remember that our libraries are a place where we can get lost in an idea we are following, find an adventure we are seeking in a book, discover more about an issue we feel passionate about or get help from someone about something we want to know. These are all the reasons (and more) to celebrate the valuable roles libraries play in our lives and to re-engage with our libraries and ‘show the love'”
Ideas for your library (the below ideas can be celebrated in-person or as online events) Thank you to ALIA
- Host an online trivia night based around the theme of the greatest love stories in history.
- Host a competition for library users to share their favourite love quote from a book or poem (using the template below) and display them in your library.
- Who’s someone in your community that really displays this ‘childlike love’ for their craft or work? Invite in some guest speakers to do a talk.
- Create a Library Lovers’ Day display around the themes that people generally loved as a kid (for example, dinosaurs, magic, science, travel). Don’t forget to share your results on social media using #LibraryLoversDay so everyone can see what you’ve accomplished.
- Invite kids to colour-in the Library Lovers’s Day drawing (in the resources section below) and display their effort and/or make it into a competition.
- Encourage patrons to borrow their favourite book (as a young child, teenager, adult etc.) and enjoy the pleasure of reading it all over again or reading it to their children.
- Host a movie night, make up some popcorn and showcase some of the great films you have in your collection.
- Have a dress up day and dress up as a character you most love. Go one step further and run a costume parade or competition.
Ideas for your communication channels
- Ask your patrons to send their favourite love quote to you and you can share the best quotes on your social media channels. Don’t forget to share your results on social media using #LibraryLoversDay.
- Encourage your patrons to spread the #LibraryLoversDay by having a competition for the best social media post using #LibraryLoversDay.
- Change your library’s Facebook or Twitter avatar and/or banner to “love” the avatars and banners
- If you’re library has a newsletter, consider adding in a story about Library Lovers’ Day and advertise how your library is celebrating.
- Don’t forget to work with your communications team to prepare a media release, and connect decision-makers and stakeholders with messages about what the library means to their constituents
We loved what the State Library of Victoria is doing on their campaign Give the gift of curiosity and we think this headline works fo libraries everywhere!
SLV say “Looking for a Valentine’s gift that keeps giving all year round? Show that special someone you love them with access to a world of benefits through a State Library Victoria Gift Membership. Memberships offer perks ranging from priority events bookings and exclusive experiences to tours and special offers from Library partners”